Cookies on our website

The Natural Resources Wales website uses cookies. By continuing to browse or by clicking “Continue,” you agree to the storing of first- and third-party cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. Cookie policy.

Register as a waste carrier, broker or dealer

Registration helps us make sure that controlled waste is transported and disposed of legally and safely

Who needs to register as a waste carrier, broker or dealer?

This guidance applies to businesses whose main premises are in Wales. If your business is based in England, please contact the Environment Agency or if you are in Scotland, please contact SEPA.

If you transport waste as part of your business, you will need to be registered as a waste carrier.

If you arrange for waste from other businesses or organisations to be transported, disposed of, or recovered, you need to register as a waste broker.

If you buy and sell waste, or use an agent to do so, you need to register as a waste dealer.

There are two levels of registration – upper tier and lower tier. They are based on organisation type or waste type and not on quantities of waste. You may still be required to register in the upper tier even if you only transport or deal in very small amounts of waste.

To find out if you need to register, what tier would apply to you and who your registration covers please read the Fact Sheet which can be found at the bottom of this page. If, after reading the guidance, you are still unsure whether you need to register then please contact our Customer Care Centre on 0300 065 3000 or  where one of our advisors will be able to help you. 

How to register, renew, or make changes to an existing registration

Please use the form at the bottom of this page to register, renew or make changes to your registration. You can either email your completed form to or print a copy and post it to the address provided on the form. If you are unable to print documents, please call us and we can post the documents to you.

We are also able to make certain changes to an existing registration, most of which are free of charge. Please check the Fact Sheet below for more information on what can be changed.

There is no charge for a new Lower Tier registration and these last indefinitely.

The cost of a new Upper Tier registration is £154 and this expires after three years.

The cost of renewing an upper tier registration (before expiry date) is £105.

Copy Cards (credit card version of a registration) are £5 each.

The cost of changing an existing upper tier registration type, for example from a carrier/dealer to a carrier/broker/dealer is £40.

All registrations are VAT exempt. We do not send invoices or receipts of VAT.

If you have any difficulties, please contact our Customer Care Centre on 0300 065 3000 or

What happens after you register?

We will inform you within 15 working days (three weeks) if your registration has been successful. If you apply online, it will usually be much sooner.

If we cannot accept the registration for any reason we will let you know.

You will receive your confirmation certification of registration via email. Your new CBDU reference number is proof of your registration and confirmation you are registered and can be viewed via the public register. If you send us a paper application and do not have an email address, we will send you a paper confirmation which contains the same information as an email confirmation.

Once registered your business will appear on the waste carrier and brokers public register. 

Related document downloads

Waste carriers broker and dealers Fact sheet PDF [621.7 KB]
Copy Card appliction WORD [75.2 KB]
Form WMC1 Upper tier Application to register as an upper tier carrier-dealer broker-dealer or both of controlled waste PDF [418.8 KB]

Is there anything wrong with this page? Give us your feedback.