Register or renew as a hazardous waste producer

If you produce or store over 500kg of hazardous waste per year, then you need to register it with us every year

Who needs to register

You need to register your premises in Wales, if you produce hazardous waste (waste which is dangerous to people, the environment or animals).

Some premises are exempt and do not need to be registered. If you are not sure whether your premises need to be registered, read our guide HWR02A ‘Do I need to notify my premises?’.

When you notify us of your premises, we place your details on a register and you will be given a hazardous waste producer registration number called a ‘premises code’.

When waste is collected from premises and taken to another location a consignment note is required regardless of whether you are a registered premises or exempt.

You can read about your responsibilities as a hazardous waste producer in England, on

You can read about the different rules in Scotland on the SEPA site.

Who does not need to register

The regulations do not apply to domestic waste, except where that waste is asbestos produced by a contractor. In this case, the contractor may have to notify the place where the waste is collected from.

Fly-tipped waste

If waste has been fly-tipped, you may remove that waste without the site being registered, however a consignment note will still need to be completed. A specific consignment note code format will be required.

Where mobile service operators produce all of your hazardous waste

Premises may have all of their waste produced during construction, repair or maintenance by one or more mobile services. In this case you may not need to notify your premises.

There are rules about what a mobile service is - you should check the guide HWR07 Mobile Services below to find out more.

Any premises covered in the Guidance Statement of premises notification

We may decide that in particular circumstances there is no requirement to notify premises. You can find details of these in the Guidance Statement below.

How to register

You can register your own premises or do this on behalf of someone else. However, before you register someone else, you must have their permission. Only producers in Wales are required to register, sites in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland do not have to register.

Registrations last for one year and you can renew a registration up to one month before it expires. The fees charged for registrations purely cover our administration costs and so we are unable to refund incorrectly registered sites.

Information you need for registration:

  • Standard Industry Classification (SIC) - SIC is a method of grouping businesses by the type of economic activity they are involved in. The 2003 version of the SIC codes must be used for registration. Please see excel spreadsheet below.
  • Companies House Number, if you are a limited company

Register or renew online

Online registrations cost £18 per site.

Telephone registrations cost £23 per site.

Paper registrations cost £28 per site. You can register by post by completing the application form(s) at bottom of this page. If you are unable to print documents please call us and we will post the documents to you. Send completed application forms to:

Customer Care Centre
Natural Resources Wales
Cambria House, 29 Newport Road
Cardiff CF24 0TP

All registrations are VAT exempt. We do not send invoices or receipts of VAT.

Once registered, details of your registration will appear on the Hazardous waste Public register

Register in bulk in Wales

You can register or renew multiple sites for the same organisation online. Please note only premises within Wales can be registered in NRW. If you have sites in England, you must create a separate bulk registration with the Environment Agency. Please note that any mixed bulk registrations (ie those containing Welsh and English premises) are likely to be rejected.

As stated above all registrations are VAT exempt. We do not send invoices or receipts for VAT purposes.

You can also register for bulk registration by post by completing application form HWRP01 The Hazardous Waste Regulations 2005.pdf PDF [320.1 KB] including your main organisation/business address along with full BACS payment information outlining the correct amount referring to how many sites you wish to register in bulk ie £18 per site.

Please note when paying via BACS use our bank details as above. You will then need to set up your BACS payment as part of your application process and provide your BACS reference on the HWRP01 form.

Example HWAPPNRW1000                         

This reference needs to be in the correct format to confirm receipt of payment. BACS transfers can take up to 5 working days to clear.

Along with the HWRP01 form you are also required to complete the Hazardous waste bulk registration spreadsheet EXCEL [17.7 KB]. The application form(s) are at the bottom of this page. If you are unable to print documents, please call us and we will post the documents to you.

Please ensure the excel file is completed in the correct format, including: 
*Correct SIC codes
*Previous registrations codes (All registrations in Wales start with example CAA000
Number of employees on site

You can send completed bulk application forms to the following address:

Customer Care Centre
Natural Resources Wales
Cambria House, 29 Newport Road
Cardiff CF24 0TP

Or via email –

Important changes to electronic payments

Our bank details have changed. If you want to pay for your permit or licence application by electronic transfer, use our new bank information below. Please look at the ‘Our charges’ section of our website for full details of the changes.

New payment information. Only send payment if you operate in Wales.
Company name:  Natural Resources Wales 
Company address:     Income Department, PO BOX 663, Cardiff, CF24 0TP
Bank: RBS
Address: National Westminster Bank Plc., 2½  Devonshire Square, London, EC2M 4BA 
Sort code:  60-70-80 
Account number: 10014438

We will update our forms as soon as possible, but please use the new bank information on Our Charges page when making electronic payments from now on. Do not use the details given in our permit/ licence application forms and guidance if they are different to those above.

Help with your application

If you have any questions about your registration please telephone us on 0300 065 3000 (Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm).

What happens next?

We will inform you within 15 working days (three weeks) if your registration has been successful. If you apply online it will usually be much sooner.

If we cannot accept the registration for any reason we will let you know.

Once you have successfully registered, you will receive your confirmation document via email. This document is your proof of payment and will show your new Hazardous Waste Producer reference(s) number(s).

Related document downloads

HWR07 Mobile Services A guide to the Hazardous Waste Regulations PDF [323.4 KB]
Do I need to notify my premises A guide to the Hazardous Waste regulations PDF [227.8 KB]
Guidance statement Premises notification for the Hazardous Waste Regulations PDF [171.0 KB]