Cookies on our website

The Natural Resources Wales website uses cookies. By continuing to browse or by clicking “Continue,” you agree to the storing of first- and third-party cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. Cookie policy.

Buying and importing of radioactive sealed sources from other EU countries – Regulation 1493/93

Why do I need the form

If you want to buy a source from another country in the EU, the supplier in that country will need you to get for them a standard form stamped by NRW before they can send you the source.

Sales and transfers of radioactive sealed sources between EU countries are subject to a simple notification/declaration procedure under Council Regulation 1493/93. The form simply confirms that you are entitled to possess such a source. The form may cover one or more shipments and they last up to 3 years. You can get a declaration form from the Waste Shipments Unit (WSU) in Natural Resources Wales, which you complete and return to them - see address below. There are no charges for this.

Exempt sources

Some sealed sources are of such low activity that they are exempt, see Table 5 in Schedule 23 to the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2010 (as amended in 2011). For example a cobalt-60 source less than 100 kBq is exempt.

Contact WSU

You can get the form from:

Waste Shipments Unit
Natural Resources Wales
St Mellons Business Park
Cardiff CF3 0EY
Tel: +44 (0)29 2024 5315 or 0300 065 3073
Fax: +44 (0)29 2036 2487

Is there anything wrong with this page? Give us your feedback.