Cookies on our website

The Natural Resources Wales website uses cookies. By continuing to browse or by clicking “Continue,” you agree to the storing of first- and third-party cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. Cookie policy.

Marine Noise Registry

The Marine Noise Registry (MNR) is the UK’s option for monitoring impulsive, low to medium frequency (10Hz – 10kHz) marine, man-made noise

Defra and Joint Nature Conservation Committee (JNCC) have developed a new Marine Noise Registry (MNR) to record human activities in UK seas that produce loud, medium and low frequency (10Hz – 10kHz) impulsive noise.

The MNR collects information on the noisy activities (during the planning stages) and actual location and date data (after the activity has been completed).

Understanding when and where noisy activities take place will help us define the baseline level for impulsive noise in UK waters. It will also inform our research and decisions on the impacts of noise, particularly on vulnerable species like cetaceans, whales, dolphins and porpoise.

How will this affect a Marine Licence?

From now on when we issue a Marine Licence that cover noisy activities they will include licence conditions requiring the applicant to submit data to the Marine Noise Registry.

What noise activities need to be registered?

  • Impact Pile Driving
  • Geophysical surveys (seismic, sub bottom profiling and multibeam echosounders)
  • Explosives
  • Military related sonar
  • Acoustic deterrent devices

Where available, MNR collect source property data (in line with TG noise guidance), which includes:-

  • Frequency
  • Maximum air gun volume
  • Maximum hammer energy
  • TNT equivalent
  • Sound pressure level
  • Sound exposure level

Non-licensable noise activities that can be voluntarily provided:

We encourage the registration of all noise activity in the marine environment, including activities which do not require a Marine Licence. This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Seismic survey
  • Sub bottom profiling
  • Multibeam echosounders

Where do I register the information?

To provide information to the register visit

Marine licensing in Wales - contact us

If you have any queries you can contact the Marine Licensing Team at

Is there anything wrong with this page? Give us your feedback.