Before you apply
The new Waste Framework Directive was implemented in England and Wales in April 2011. It has introduced a five step waste hierarchy, these steps are:
- waste prevention
- preparing for re-use
- other recovery (including energy recovery)
- waste disposal
The Directive allows municipal waste incinerators to be classified as recovery operations provided they achieve a defined threshold of energy efficiency. This has been introduced to:
- promote the use of waste in energy efficient municipal waste incinerators
- encourage innovation in waste incineration
Whether or not the energy efficiency threshold is achieved is worked out by using the R1 Energy Efficiency formula included in the Directive.
How to apply
Natural Resources Body for Wales is the competent authority that decides if a Municipal Waste Incinerator qualifies for recovery status by using the R1 Energy Efficiency formula.
For an overview of how to qualify in Wales please download and read the briefing note from the link below:
To apply you need to send us:
- a covering letter (confirming that you are applying for R1 status by virtue of the R1 Energy Efficiency Formula and stating whether you are applying for the whole plant or a single line)
- a completed copy of the R1 application proforma (Excel 3.26MB) together with the information that supports the figures that have been provided. Please e-mail your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org / putting 'R1 Energy Efficiency Formula Application' in the subject line (please note a size limit of 10MB applies)
- Part A of the application for an Environmental Permit
Application form Part A - About you
Guidance notes Part A - How to complete Part A of our application form
Please e-mail your applications to email@example.com / putting 'R1 Energy Efficiency Formula Application' in the subject line (please note a size limit of 10MB applies).