Flood risk activity exemptions
You can register an exemption if you meet the specific conditions set out in the technical guidance for flood risk activity exemptions. It is a criminal offence to carry out an exempt activity without meeting the appropriate conditions. It must be noted that works in close proximity to a designated site may not meet the exemption criteria.
It is free to register an exemption.
Exempt flood risk activities:
- the erection of an electrical cable service crossing over a main river
- the erection of a service crossing below the bed of a main river by directional drilling not involving an open cut technique
- service crossings attached to the outside of existing structures over a main river
- the construction of footbridges
- the maintenance of raised river or sea defences
- the maintenance of structures within the channel of a main river other than raised river or sea defences
- the construction of a drinking bay on the bank of a main river
- the construction of access platforms on the bank of a main river or that project into or over a main river
- the construction of small outfall pipes and headwalls to main rivers
- the repair and protection of main river banks using natural materials
- repair of bank slips and erosion
- the installation of channel habitat structures made of natural materials (excluding weirs and berms)
- the installation of rafts for survey
- gravel cleaning for fish-spawning beds
- construction of eel pass devices on existing structures
- construction of fish passage notches on an existing impoundment
- the excavation of scrapes and shallow wetland features in a floodplain
- construction of bankside wildlife refuge structures
- improvement works for tracks and paths
If you need to undertake temporary works (for example use scaffolding or coffer dams in the channel), contact us to discuss if a bespoke permit might be needed.
Register an exemption
Complete the application form to register an exemption.
You will need to include:
- the name and address of the individual or organisation responsible for carrying out the flood risk activity
- the 12-digit national grid reference where the exempt work is being carried out
- a location plan of where the work will be carried out
Once registered, your exemption details will appear on the flood risk activity exemption public register.