River basin management plans 2021-2027
River basin management plans provide the overarching framework for water management, helping to protect and improve our water environment.
Our rivers, lakes, wetlands, ground waters, estuaries and coastal waters - including those in protected areas - all fall under these plans.
We update the plans every six years. Through this process we develop our understanding on the state of the water environment, the pressures acting upon it and what measures are required to improve and protect it by using existing and new evidence.
What the river basin management plans include
Our river basin management plans comprise:
- river basin management plan summaries for Dee and Western Wales
- strategic environmental assessment screening decisions for Dee and Western Wales
- a habitat regulations assessment
- evidence and data on waterbodies in Wales
- a list of protected areas within river basin districts
Dee and Western Wales river basin management plan summaries
The summaries describe:
- the current state of the water environment
- pressures affecting the water environment
- environmental objectives for protecting and improving the waters
- the programme of measures and actions needed to achieve the objectives
- progress since the 2015 plan
Dee river basin district in England
The Environment Agency manage the English part of the Dee river basin district.
- how the water environment is defined and described
- the processes used for updating the objectives
- the programmes of measures in England
The range of mechanisms available for implementing river basin planning measures in England is described in Dee River Basin District in England programmes of measures: mechanisms summary (Mechanisms Summary).
Strategic environmental assessment screening decisions
Use these documents to understand how we have considered the potential effects of implementing the 2021-2027 river basin management plans on people and the wider environment, e.g. human health, cultural heritage and the landscape.
Habitat regulations assessment
Use this document to understand the potential impacts of implementing the Dee and Western Wales river basin management plans on designated European sites.
It also states where mitigation measures are needed to prevent adverse effects on these sites.
Evidence and data about the water environment
Find information on the current state of the water environment in Wales, measures and objectives for improving it, and opportunity catchments at Water Watch Wales.
Protected areas in river basin districts
Search the register of protected areas in the Dee and Western Wales river basin districts for information on:
- drinking water protected areas
- shellfish waters
- bathing (recreational) waters
- European sites
- nutrient sensitive areas
How the plans for Wales were developed
A summary of the technical, economic and engagement process used to develop the Dee and Western Wales river basin management plans: