How to classify and assess waste
As part of your waste duty of care you must classify the waste your business produces:
- before it is collected, disposed of or recovered
- to identify the controls that apply to the movement of the waste
- to complete waste documents and records
- to identify suitably authorised waste management options
- to prevent harm to people and the environment
You should use this guidance if you produce, manage or regulate waste. When completing waste documentation the waste must be classified using a code It will help you select the correct code for the waste and in particular decide whether the waste is hazardous or non-hazardous.
This guide replaces Hazardous waste: interpretation of the definition and classification of hazardous waste (WM2). A consultation was carried out on the changes, details of what has changed and why can be found on our Waste Classification and Assessment - Technical Guidance WM3 page.
Details of how the changes will be implemented will be available shortly.