We offer evidence, guidance and advice across a wide range of policies, programmes, plans and projects.
We understand landscapes as place-based environmental settings:
- whose character results from the actions and interactions of natural resources and cultural factors;
- that provide the landscape-scale integrating context for the sustainable management of natural resources;
- that provide multiple well-being benefits for people.
We are guided by the European Landscape Convention, within the context of:
- The sustainable management of natural resources, within the context of the Environment (Wales) Act 2016; and well-being, within the context of the Well-being of Future Generations Act (Wales) 2015.
We offer evidence, guidance and advice across a wide range of policies, programmes, plans and projects. These include Planning Policy Wales and Development Management, Designated Landscapes, Marine Planning and local Well-being Assessments.
We also consider landscape in the management of our estate, which includes the Welsh Government’s Woodland Estate, being 7% of Wales. We monitor our landscape evidence through NRW’s State of Natural Resources Report (SoNaRR) and we will contribute to Area Statements.
- European Landscape Convention
- Designated Landscapes, the Marsden Review and NRW’s input
- Environment (Wales) Act 2016 and National Natural Resources Policy Statement
- Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015
- Historic Environment (Wales) Act 2016
- Planning (Wales) Act 2015 and Planning Policy Wales
- Monitoring landscape change
- Designated Landscape Management Plans
- National Landscape Character Areas
- National Marine Character Areas
- Local Landscape Character Areas
- Local seascape character areas
- Registered Historic Landscapes
- Tranquil Areas
- Urban Trees
- Why landscapes matter
- Special Landscape Areas
- Historic Landscapes
- Landscape Character
- Landscape and Visual Impact Assessment and Sensitivity and Capacity Assessment
- Energy infrastructure and Landscape
- UK Forestry Standard and Forests and Landscape
- Green Infrastructure
- Local Green Spaces