How to apply for an environmental permit

Coronavirus update

Our staff are now home working wherever possible. This means we can't accept paper application forms at this time. You will be able to submit forms via email and if required you can make payments via BACS.

You will need Microsoft Word 2010 or equivalent to be able to use the electronic forms.

Whilst we hope to keep disruption to a minimum, please be aware there may be a longer processing time during this period of transition.

Find out more about our response to coronavirus.

Find out about how to apply for a water quality, waste, installation, mobile plant or mining waste permit, and keep up to date with changes in our application process.

Application forms

Whenever you apply for a new permit, or to change an existing permit, or to transfer or surrender, you need to complete all relevant application forms and send them to us, along with all necessary supporting information. Our application forms and supporting guidance will help you understand what's needed.

Our application forms are designed to be completed electronically. You will need Microsoft Word 2010 or equivalent to be able to use the electronic forms. If you have problems accessing the forms, please contact us on 0300 065 3000 or by email at

We’ve changed our application forms

We have new forms to use when applying for a water quality, waste, installation, mobile plant or mining waste permitted activity. The new forms can be found on each of the relevant 'Apply for...' pages.

The improvements will ensure we have the information we need to process your application effectively. We are committed to improving how we work together. The new forms help to achieve this.

Important: In January 2017, some forms changed to reflect the new, consolidated Environmental Permitting Regulations 2016. The amended forms are Parts; B6, B6.5, C0.5, C6, D1, E1, F1, F2 and LPD1.

Please make sure you use the most up to date version of our forms when submitting an application. All applications received on or after 1st February on out of date forms, will be returned without processing.

Tips for using the application forms.

Click on the form you want, to open it. For example, if you need to tell us about yourself, click on 'Application form Part A'.

Once you've clicked on the 'Part' you want, you have the option to open the form directly in Word to work on, and can save it at any time later. Or you can save the form to your computer to work on later. Choose whichever option you prefer.

When opening the forms, you may need to click 'View, Edit document' or 'Enable content' to see the form more clearly.

You will need to save the forms in .docx format for the answer box functionality to work. You will not be able to enter answers in the spaces provided if you save the forms in a .doc format.

You can make the form bigger on the screen by clicking the + button on the zoom bar, at the bottom right of your screen. Or, you can change the view of the form by clicking on the 'View' tab on the toolbar (top of your screen) and choosing the layout you prefer from the 'Views' section of the toolbar. 

The forms have answer boxes that all become live when you open the form. You need to scroll (up and down) through the document to move to the relevant answer boxes.

You will not need to complete all questions, in every form. There is guidance in forms to tell you which questions need to be completed. You only need to fill in the sections relevant to your application.

You should read the guidance that comes with the form before you fill it in. All of the guidance documents are pdf. format.  Click on the 'Guidance notes Part A' and the document will open straight away. You can save it to your own computer for future reference if you want. To get back to the 'Apply for...' page, simply click the back arrow in the tool bar at the top of your screen.

Need help completing your application?

If you want help understanding which forms you need to complete and the information you need to send, and you already have a site compliance officer, you can talk directly to them. 

If you don’t have a site officer already, you can contact us on 0300 065 3000 or by email at, and we will put you in touch with a local officer who can help you with this and other pre-application enquiries.

NRW offer a pre-application advice service to help you get your application right first time.  The basic level provides 2 hours of free advice, including information on which forms to complete, guidance, best practice/industry standards and how to identify environmental sensitives.

If you need more in-depth help, we offer bespoke, charged, pre-application advice as part of our discretionary advice service.

Read more about our pre-application permitting and licensing service.

Where to send your application

You can send your application by email or in the post. We can process applications more quickly, if we receive them by email (electronically). Send your completed application form and all supporting documents to:

By post: Permit Receipt Centre, Natural Resources Wales, Cambria House, 29 Newport Road, Cardiff, CF24 0TP 

Please send either one electronic (CD) copy and one paper copy, OR two paper copies.


We want to know what you think about our application forms.  Your comments can help us improve our service.

Please send any comments and suggestions to us at: using the subject heading ‘EPR application form feedback’.