Cookies on our website

The Natural Resources Wales website uses cookies. By continuing to browse or by clicking “Continue,” you agree to the storing of first- and third-party cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. Cookie policy.

The CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme (CRC)

The CRC is a UK government scheme that was introduced in 2008. It is designed to improve energy efficiency and cut carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions in private and public sector organisations that are high energy users, such as supermarkets, local authorities, large companies etc. These organisations are responsible for around 10% of the UK’s greenhouse gas emissions, and 2% of total Welsh emissions

Important changes to electronic payments: Our bank details have changed.

If you want to pay for your permit or licence application by electronic transfer please use the information below to make your payment. 

Company name:           Natural Resources Wales

Company address:       Income Department, PO BOX 663, Cardiff, CF24 0TP

Bank:                           RBS

Address:                      National Westminster Bank Plc, 2½ Devonshire Square, London, EC2M 4BA

Sort Code:                    60-70-80

Account number:         10014438 

Do not use the details given in our permit/ licence application forms and guidance if they are different to the ones above.

We will update our forms as soon as possible, but please use the new information when making electronic payments from now on.

Note: Waste mobile plant deployment application forms have been updated with the new information. 

Making payments from outside the UK

These details have changed.

If you are making your payment from outside the United Kingdom (which must be received in sterling), our IBAN number is GB70 NWBK6070 8010 014438 and our SWIFT/BIC number is NWBKGB2L. 

Send us your payment details by email

Please email your payment details and payment type details (such as ‘Waste Variation’ or ‘Water Quality New’) to or or fax it to 0300 065 3001.

You must include your company name and invoice number. Where possible, please also submit a remittance advice. This will ensure accurate processing of your payment. 

You should still include the BACS payment reference on the application form itself.

If you do not quote your payment reference number, there may be a delay in processing your payment and application.

The purpose of CRC

The scheme is designed to target emissions not already covered by CCA and the EU ETS and features a range of drivers to encourage organisations to develop energy management strategies that promote a better understanding of energy usage.

CRC timeline

CRC operates in phases.  Phase I ran from April 2010 until the end of March 2014. We are now in phase II, which runs from 1 April 2014 to 31 March 2019.  For each phase there is a qualification year. Organisations that meet certain criteria during the qualification year will need to register for the next phase of CRC. The qualification year for phase II was between 1 April 2012 and 31 March 2013.

Organisations affected by CRC have to register with the Environment Agency at the start of a phase and participate for the whole phase.

Requirements for CRC participants

In each compliance year an organisation that has registered for CRC needs to do the following:

  • Collate information about its energy supplies
  • Submit a report about its energy supplies
  • Buy and surrender allowances equal to the CO2 emissions it generates
  • Keep records about its energy supplies and organisation in an evidence pack

CRC customers in Wales should continue to manage their CRC registrations, reports, purchase and surrender of allowances on the CRC Registry accessed through the Environment Agency’s website.

What we do

Natural Resources Wales is responsible for auditing, compliance and enforcement of participants in Wales. The Environment Agency administers the scheme for the UK, including the provision of the CRC Registry, advice and guidance. The CRC Registry is utilised for registration, emission reporting and allowance purchase and surrender. 

Is there anything wrong with this page? Give us your feedback.