Woodlands and You guidance and forms

Woodlands and You guidance and forms

Find details of all the available guidance and application forms to help you use the Welsh Government Woodland Estate for activities, events, projects and surveys.

Got an idea?

Please click on the links below to help you choose the right guidance and application form for you:

Activities and permits

Annual permits for individuals

This is the form for you if you need a permit or barrier keys for activities such as horse riding (in woodlands where permits are required), husky training, keeping beehives and so on (this is not an exhaustive list of potential activities).

Annual permits for businesses, clubs and societies

This is the form for you if you represent a business, club or society and need a permit or barrier keys for activities such as carriage driving and foliage gathering.


You don’t need a permit for this activity – you are welcome to use the woodlands we manage for geocaching. However, we would kindly ask you to read the guidance below.


This is the form for one-off events, which may take place over one or a number of days. Events might include mountain biking or running, triathlons, equine events, paintballing, filming, skills training, guided walks, bushcraft, carriage driving – and many others!

Multiple events

For events taking place over a period of time and on separate dates – such as trail and drag hunts, health and wellbeing activities, orienteering – the forms you will need are below.

Please note that a separate form is required for conservation, heritage and archaeological surveys.


This is the form for you if you are planning a longer-term project, such as the creation of access routes, upgrading paths, installing signage and seating or setting up arts trails.

Community food

There is a growing demand for allotment sites throughout the UK. Natural Resources Wales is also receiving more requests from communities who wish to use sites at the edges of forests for growing food. We welcome proposals for such schemes through the  'Woodlands and You' initiative. Proposals should be submitted using the projects form. For more information, please see our community food policy and guidance below.


This is the form for you if you wish to undertake conservation, heritage or archaeological surveys that require a permit. Activities of this kind might include archaeological excavations, activities on scheduled ancient monuments or surveys of European protected species.


Information about charges for activities, events, projects and surveys.

How to apply

Please visit our Woodlands and You introduction page to find details of how to submit your application form to us.

Contact us

Please contact your local area office before completing your form, or if you have any questions about the 'Woodlands and You' scheme.