Our charges

Our charges

Find out what we charge, how and why we set charges and how to contact us for information or related queries

Changes for 2016-17

As a result of our most recent charging review there are only two changes, as follows:

  • We are removing the Environmental Improvement Unit Charge from the annual Abstraction subsistence billing cycle for customers other than water companies
  • We are introducing new charges for Flood Risk Consenting as this work now falls under the Environmental Permitting Regulations

Our current charging schemes

Our charging schemes for 2016-17 are in place from 1st April 2016 until 31st March 2017 and cover the different activities that we regulate under various pieces of legislation.  Our charges are reviewed regularly and any changes consulted upon. 

Environmental Permitting charges

This charging scheme covers the different types of operations that require a permit or consent under the Environmental Permitting Regulations including waste facilities, installations, mining waste operations, waste exemptions, mobile plant, water quality (discharges to water and groundwater), radioactive substances and flood risk activities.  It also covers other miscellaneous charges such as waste carriers, brokers and dealers, international waste shipments and producer responsibility. 

We use OPRA to assess the risk to the environment from sites we regulate with environmental permits. If you’re applying for a new bespoke permit or changes to an existing bespoke permit, your fee will be based on the OPRA score for your site. The relevant OPRA spreadsheet(s) you will need to complete can be found below. A link to the relevant Environment Agency guidance on how to complete an OPRA spreadsheet, which we are continuing to follow, can also be found at the bottom of this webpage. 

More information on this charging scheme and related information can be found below.

Abstraction charges

This charging scheme covers the charges for abstraction licences, which are set to cover the costs we incur in ensuring water resources are managed effectively. This also includes details on the Environmental Improvement Unit Charges (EIUC).

More information on this charging scheme can be found below.

Control of major accident hazards (COMAH) charges

These charges cover the costs of our regulation as part of the COMAH Competent Authority tasked with controlling Major Accident Hazards.  Natural Resources Wales, along with the Health and Safety Executive and the Office for Nuclear Regulation, form the COMAH Competent Authority in Wales.  We ensure that duty holders take all measures necessary to prevent major accidents and limit their consequences for human health and the environment.

We raise charges to recover our costs incurred in carrying out the functions of the COMAH 2015 Regulations based on a time and materials approach.  We raise invoices within 30 days of 31 March and 30 September each year at a charge out rate of £125 per inspector hour.

The fees payable by operators to the Competent Authority are laid out in Regulation 28 of the COMAH 2015 Regulations.  This means that the COMAH Competent Authority may charge for the discharge of any function conferred by the COMAH 2015 Regulations with the exception of:

  1. any criminal investigation or prosecution incurred, in either case, from the date any summons is obtained from a Magistrates Court;
  2. functions of the competent authority related to preparation of External Emergency Plans under Regulation 13

Other charges

CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme

Natural Resources Wales is responsible for auditing, compliance and enforcement of CRC participants in Wales. We raise charges to recover the costs of this work, which includes contributing to the maintenance of UK-wide systems such as the CRC Registry.

EU Emissions Trading System (EU ETS) charges

All EU ETS regulation, compliance, enforcement, auditing and permitting activities (including new permits, variations, surrenders, revocations, notifications, activity/capacity changes and new entrants reserve applications) for sites in Wales are carried out by Natural Resources Wales. We raise charges to recover the costs of this work, which includes contributing to the maintenance of UK-wide systems such as the UK Registry and ETSWAP.

Pollution incident and cost recovery (PICR)

We have to recover the costs of pollution incidents.

Charging for information

Find out more about the information we provide for free and what we charge for.

Fisheries charges

Find out more about our charges for Rod licencesfishing with nets and trapsand for stocking and moving fish.

Important changes to electronic payments

Our bank details have changed. If you want to pay for your permit or licence application by electronic transfer please use the information below to make your payment.

Company name:           Natural Resources Wales          
Company address:       Income Department, PO BOX 663, Cardiff, CF24 0TP    
Bank:                              RBS    
Address:                         National Westminster Bank Plc, 2 ½ Devonshire Square, London, EC2M 4BA
Sort code:                      60-70-80          
Account number:          10014438

Do not use the details given in our permit/ licence application forms if they are different to those above. We will update our forms as soon as possible, but please use the information below when making electronic payments from now on.

Making payments from outside the UK
These details have changed. If you are making your payment from outside the United Kingdom (which must be received in sterling), our IBAN number is GB70 NWBK6070 8010 014438 and our SWIFT/BIC number is NWBKGB2L.

Send us your payment details by email
Please email your payment details and payment type details (such as ‘Waste Variation’ or ‘Water Quality New’) to banking.team@cyfoethnaturiolcymru.gov.uk or fax it to 0300 065 3001.

You must include your company name and invoice number. Where possible, please also submit a remittance advice. This will ensure accurate processing of your payment.

You should still include the BACS payment reference on the application form itself.
If you do not quote your payment reference number, there may be a delay in processing your payment and application.