Cookies on our website

The Natural Resources Wales website uses cookies. By continuing to browse or by clicking “Continue,” you agree to the storing of first- and third-party cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. Cookie policy.

Flooding - Who can help?

Who to contact for different concerns about flooding

Drawing of house with numbered problems from flooding


  1. Your supplier, if you are concerned about floodwater affecting your gas, electricity, water or sewerage services

  2. Your local authority, for flooding caused by blocked gullies

  3. Your local authority, if you are concerned about flooding caused by water running off fields

  4. Natural Resources Wales, for advice on flooding from rivers and the sea

  5. Natural Resources Wales, if you notice an obstruction in the river

  6. Your local authority may have some sandbags ready to deploy at times of flooding, but their priority is to protect the public at large

    You should check with your local authority in advance to find out what their policy is, and if there is a charge for the service

    If your local authority doesn’t supply sandbags, you can buy your own supply from DIY stores and builder’s merchants. More advice on sandbags can be found on

  7. National Flood Forum for advice on flood protection products

  8. Your insurance company, to check whether your property is covered for flood damage

  9. Your local water company, for sewer flooding, or if your toilet or sink is backing up during floods

Floodline is available 24 hours a day - 0345 988 1188

Related document downloads

Flooding - who can help? Who to contact for different concerns about flooding PDF [638.9 KB]

Is there anything wrong with this page? Give us your feedback.