Web Developer x 2
Contract type: Permanent
Work pattern: 37 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Post number: 203437, 203434
As an organisation we support flexible working. This role allows hybrid working (a mix of home and office working) and a working pattern suitable for you can be discussed on appointment if you are successful.
You will be contracted to the NRW location stated in this advert, of which you will be required to attend for regular meetings, training and for one-to-one meetings with your manager. These will be planned in advance.
We’re looking for an experienced web developer to join a new team that will be responsible for developing and managing the Natural Resources Wales website and publishing platforms.
This is a chance to use your skills and experience in a role that will make a real difference in supporting Wales’ ambitions to tackle the climate and nature emergencies.
Over a million people access information and services on the Natural Resources Wales website every year. From making sure businesses comply with environmental regulations and protect the Welsh environment to helping householders understand their flood risk. It’s also an important platform for other public bodies and used by policy makers to access evidence needed to base their decisions. And many more services in-between!
Find out more about our vision for better digital services for Natural Resources Wales in our Digital Strategy.
Your responsibilities include:
- Lead and deliver web application developments as agreed with product team, in such a way as to minimise support costs, failures and recovery times.
- Work across NRW Digital and ICT to take a lead role in ensuring the investment in technology is fully leveraged and that NRW’s future approach to customers and digital services is enabled through integration of our systems.
- Collaborate with Solution Architects in the planning, design and requirements specification for all web related activities to ensure links are made with other work areas to avoid / anticipate potential risks.
- Lead and provide advice and guidance on best practices relating to configuration management and release management of applications.
- Support and develop appropriate governance arrangements relating to new web development to ensure future coding supports business needs and the digital strategy.
- Contribute to the 18-month rolling technical roadmap for the NRW website and intranet, taking account of capacity and cost management, security and delivery of NRWs digital strategy.
- Manage the Azure development estate budget for your products.
- Responsible for resolving all highly technical or complex incidents and issues underpinning critical services within both standard operating hours and out of hours
- Ensure the health and availability of the NRW website and intranet in line with Digital and ICT governance, and working with the platform team.
- Will be the product team lead in nurturing, developing and mentoring new and future internal coding / development skills for internal staff, apprentices and graduate placements.
- Set standards for products as required to ensure all products are built to an appropriate quality, are fit for Wales and help support and steer the organisation to align with the Digital Service Standard.
- Required to take part in incident response activities
Qualifications, experience and knowledge
Knowledge and experience of the following:
- Technical knowledge and understanding gained from career experience relevant to the role, or degree in relevant area.
- Experience developing digital products that comply with accessibility standards
- Experience of working in a multidisciplinary agile web team.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including experience of establishing and maintaining strong networks across teams.
- Experience of working within a Microsoft Azure and Office 365 environment.
- Ability to troubleshoot and make recommendations on the resilience and supportability of solutions.
- Experience of working in Visual Studio and Azure DevOps.
- Experience of working with, and developing a Content Management System (CMS).
- Experience of working with Umbraco (desirable)
- Understanding of the latest Azure offerings including API Manager, Azure Functions, Azure LogicApps and Azure Insights.
Welsh language requirements:
Essential Level 1 – able to pronounce Welsh and use basic phrases
Please note if you do not meet the level 1 requirement i.e., ability to understand basic phrases and ability to pronounce Welsh names correctly, then NRW offers a variety of learning options and staff support to help you meet these minimal requirements during the course of your employment with us.
Benefits of working for us
This role will offer a range of benefits, including:
- agile and flexible working (role dependent)
- Civil Service Pension Scheme offering employer contributions of 26.6% to 30.3%
- 28 days annual leave, rising to 33 days
- generous leave entitlements for all your life needs
- health and wellbeing benefits and support
- weekly well-being hour to use at your choice
- competitive financial rewards to enhance your monthly pay
See full details for all the employee benefits you will receive.
How to apply
Email the following to: Applications@naturalresourceswales.gov.uk quoting the post reference 203437, 203434
- Your CV
- a covering letter to support your application
- no more than two sides of A4
- explain why you’re interested in the position
- provide evidence of why you’re suitable, based on the ‘Responsibilities’ and ‘Qualifications, experience and knowledge’ sections above
Application closing date 29 January 2023
Interviews will take place through Microsoft Teams
If you have any queries about the role, please contact Ian Johns at Ian.Johns@cyfoethnaturiolcymru.gov.uk
Natural Resources Wales embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunity. We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We welcome and encourage applications from groups currently underrepresented, including women, black and ethnic minority groups and people with a disability. We have a guaranteed interview scheme for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
We put the principles of human rights, equality, fairness, dignity and respect at the heart of our values.