Digital Product Manager
Contract type: Permanent
Work pattern: 37 hours per week, Monday to Friday.
Post numbers: 203411
As an organisation we support flexible working. This role allows hybrid working (a mix of home and office working) and a working pattern suitable for you can be discussed on appointment if you are successful.
You will be contracted to the nearest NRW office to your home, of which you will be required to attend for regular meetings, training and for one-to-one meetings with your manager. These will be planned in advance.
We’re looking for an experienced product manager to join our growing Digital Services Team.
You’ll join us at an exciting time to lead on developing the future vision for the Natural Resources Wales website and help support our organisation’s priorities to tackle the climate and nature emergencies.
Over a million people access information and services on the Natural Resources Wales website every year. From making sure businesses comply with environmental regulations and protect the Welsh environment to helping householders understand their flood risk. It’s also an important platform for other public bodies and used by policy makers access to the evidence needed to base their decision. And many more services in-between!
Working in a multidisciplinary team, you will take a user-centred design approach to continuously build, test and support the Natural Resources Wales digital platforms. Your role will be to identify and frame the problems and set priorities for the improvements of NRW digital products – mainly focused on the website and intranet.
You can find out more about our vision for user-centred services for the people of Wales in our Digital Strategy.
Your responsibilities include:
- Develop an expert understanding of the user needs for the NRW website and intranet to form a clear product vision and champion these in the delivery of your product.
- Lead multidisciplinary product teams to discover, prototype, build and run complex concurrent products and services to meet user needs.
- Provide objective high level specialist expertise and advice to others based on in-depth knowledge and experience of product management.
- Lead on developing and prioritising a product backlog for the NRW publishing platforms by writing clear user stories and making decisions based on evidence and user needs.
- Where additional staff or suppliers are required to support future product developments, you may contribute or lead on developing business cases for procurement and recruitment.
- Interact with colleagues across the organisation, collaborating with others to set measurable business goals for your product and report against them.
- Set standards for products as required to ensure all products are built to an appropriate quality, are fit for Wales and help support and steer the organisation to align with the Digital Service Standard.
- Monitor and control financial and non-financial resources to deliver work to required budgets, timescales and quality whilst managing risks effectively.
- Provide in-depth technical/specialist knowledge on product management and digital standards across NRW, upon which others will rely and that contributes to organisational policy and strategy.
- Facilitate and present at internal and external meetings, giving input and specialist advice on digital delivery and interpreting complex information and successfully communicating this to others.
- Required to take part in incident response activities
Qualifications, experience and knowledge
Knowledge and experience of the following:
- Technical knowledge and understanding gained from career experience relevant to the role, or degree in relevant area.
- Have substantial experience in product management, of complex or multiple digital products, gained from working in a number of different organisations or in different roles or functions within a single organisation.
- Able to explain complex technical concepts in plain English
- Experience of working as a product manager in a multi-disciplinary team (user-centred design and technical roles).
- Budget and project management skills suitable for managing, or making a significant contribution to, projects involving the use of specialist contractors.
- Experience of influencing strategies, development plans and work programmes of internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including experience of establishing and maintaining strong networks across teams.
- Persuasive and compelling presentation skills with an ability to be passionate advocate of your portfolio.
Welsh language requirements:
Essential Level 1 – able to pronounce Welsh and use basic phrases
Desirable Level 4 - fluent in spoken Welsh
Please note if you do not meet the level 1 requirement i.e., ability to understand basic phrases and ability to pronounce Welsh names correctly, then NRW offers a variety of learning options and staff support to help you meet these minimal requirements during the course of your employment with us.
Benefits of working for us
This role will offer a range of benefits, including:
- agile and flexible working (role dependent)
- Civil Service Pension Scheme offering employer contributions of 26.6% to 30.3%
- 28 days annual leave, rising to 33 days
- generous leave entitlements for all your life needs
- health and wellbeing benefits and support
- weekly well-being hour to use at your choice
- competitive financial rewards to enhance your monthly pay
See full details for all the employee benefits you will receive.
How to apply
Email the following to: Applications@naturalresourceswales.gov.uk quoting the post reference 203411
- Your CV
- a covering letter to support your application
- no more than two sides of A4
- explain why you’re interested in the position
- provide evidence of why you’re suitable, based on the ‘Responsibilities’ and ‘Qualifications, experience and knowledge’ sections above
Application closing date 29 January 2023
Interviews will take place through Microsoft Teams
If you have any queries about the role, please contact Heledd Evans at Heledd.Evans@cyfoethnaturiolcymru.gov.uk
Natural Resources Wales embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunity. We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We welcome and encourage applications from groups currently underrepresented, including women, black and ethnic minority groups and people with a disability. We have a guaranteed interview scheme for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
We put the principles of human rights, equality, fairness, dignity and respect at the heart of our values.