Senior Application Development Specialist – Flood
Contract type: Permanent
Work pattern: 37 hours - you will need to work as part of a flexible shift pattern to cover service hours of 8am to 6pm. There are also requirements for weekend working when required to meet the business needs. Also, you will need to work on a time specific rota providing an ‘Out of Hours’ ICT Service to an agreed level.
Post number: 203403
As an organisation we support flexible working. This role allows hybrid working (a mix of home and office working) and a working pattern suitable for you can be discussed on appointment if you are successful.
You will be contracted to the nearest NRW office to your home, of which you will be required to attend for regular meetings, training and for one-to-one meetings with your manager. These will be planned in advance.
Working as part of the Flood Warning and Informing service, provide a high level of technical expertise in ICT development, delivering code to standards for internal and external systems, in conjunction with other team members and third party (technical partner) developers.
Will assist in setting the future direction for NRW and the National Flood Service approach to the agile development of in-house applications in line with our rolling 18-month technology roadmap.
The role will operate primarily at tactical and operational levels, with some strategic components relating to the need to constantly review and assess the future development needs of National Flood Service cloud-based services in supporting delivery of NRWs digital strategy
Your responsibilities include:
- Deliver application developments as required by the Programme and product owner, in such a way as to minimise support costs, failures and recovery times. This involves considering a myriad of complex possibilities in order deliver the most user friendly, easily maintainable ICT solution that provides high value for money and high user approval.
- Set corporate standards for internal and external development in NRW and ensure adherence to those standards. Responsible for ensuring NRW is using the most appropriate development tools in the most appropriate way to deliver the business needs.
- Responsible for leading the relationship with and address performance issues of third-party developers and will enforce NRW coding standards with internal and third-party developers.
- Make a significant contribution to the ICT Strategy and development and renewal of technical roadmaps. Will influence the (technical) National Flood Service Target Operating Model (TOM).
- Work across National Flood Service) and ICT to take the lead role in ensuring the investment in technology is fully leveraged and that NRWs future approach to customers and digital services is enabled through integration of our systems.
- Will be the National Flood Service lead in nurturing, developing and mentoring new and future internal coding / development skills for internal staff, apprentices and graduate placements.
- Create, build and implement appropriate governance arrangements relating to new ICT development to ensure future coding supports business needs and the digital strategy.
- Collaborate with Solution Architects in the planning, design and requirements specification for all web related activities to ensure links are made with other work areas to avoid / anticipate potential risks.
- Provide expert advice and guidance on best practices relating to configuration management and release management of applications.
- Assist in resolving all highly technical or complex incidents and issues underpinning critical services within both standard operating hours and Out of Hours
- Required to take part in incident response activities
Qualifications, experience and knowledge
Knowledge and experience of the following:
- Degree or equivalent in a technical ICT discipline plus a proven track record of working in a development team.
- Ability to deliver and manage agile Web development projects.
- Experience of working within a Microsoft Azure and Office 365 environment.
- Ability to troubleshoot and make recommendations on the resilience and supportability of solutions.
- Experience of working in Visual Studio and Azure DevOps.
- Understanding of the latest Azure offerings including API Manager, Azure Functions, Azure LogicApps and Azure Insights.
Welsh language requirements:
Essential Level 1 – able to pronounce Welsh and use basic phrases
Please note if you do not meet the level 1 requirement i.e., ability to understand basic phrases and ability to pronounce Welsh names correctly, then NRW offers a variety of learning options and staff support to help you meet these minimal requirements during the course of your employment with us.
Benefits of working for us
This role will offer a range of benefits, including:
- agile and flexible working (role dependent)
- Civil Service Pension Scheme offering employer contributions of 26.6% to 30.3%
- 28 days annual leave, rising to 33 days
- generous leave entitlements for all your life needs
- health and wellbeing benefits and support
- weekly well-being hour to use at your choice
- competitive financial rewards to enhance your monthly pay
See full details for all the employee benefits you will receive.
How to apply
Email the following to: Applications@naturalresourceswales.gov.uk quoting the post reference 203403
- Your CV
- a covering letter to support your application
- no more than two sides of A4
- explain why you’re interested in the position
- provide evidence of why you’re suitable, based on the ‘Responsibilities’ and ‘Qualifications, experience and knowledge’ sections above
Application closing date 29 January 2023
Interviews will take place through Microsoft Teams
If you have any queries about the role, please contact Ian Johns at Ian.Johns@cyfoethnaturiolcymru.gov.uk
Natural Resources Wales embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunity. We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We welcome and encourage applications from groups currently underrepresented, including women, black and ethnic minority groups and people with a disability. We have a guaranteed interview scheme for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
We put the principles of human rights, equality, fairness, dignity and respect at the heart of our values.