ICT Test Manager
Closing date: 2 April 2023 | Salary: £47,408 - £52,359 (Grade 8) | Location: Flexible
This role is eligible for a retention allowance of up to £3,182 (approved until 31 January 2026). We would welcome discussions with suitable applicants at the interview stage of the process
Contract type: Permanent
Work pattern: Full time, 37 hours per week.
Post number: 203015
As an organisation we support flexible working. This role allows hybrid working (a mix of home and office working) and a working pattern suitable for you can be discussed on appointment if you are successful.
You will be contracted to the nearest NRW office to your home, of which you will be required to attend for regular meetings, training and for one-to-one meetings with your manager. These will be planned in advance.
This is an advanced technical and managerial role, its purpose being:
Working as part of the ICT Management Team, the post holder will provide high level professional, specialist expertise and advice to others on a range of Test related topics based on their extensive in-depth knowledge and expertise. They will be NRW’s expert on all ICT testing and will advise and influence throughout NRW. This also includes instructing external suppliers on the ICT testing they need to perform and to hold them to account.
They will be a Team Leader for all Test Analyst resources both permanent and contractor, the size of which can be flexible to suit the ICT Programme of works ensuring a consistent approach to testing analysis across NRW and its suppliers. Defining NRW’s strategic direction, technical approach & frameworks, techniques, tools, environments for testing and working practices for the Test team, large numbers of staff outside the team and external suppliers.
Acquire through constant research of technical ICT roadmaps etc. a deep understanding of ICT technology, and Test Management. Apply this to NRW business requirements and prioritise and schedule ICT tests to meet NRW needs in the face of changing priorities, system performance and availability of external technical partners and NRW staff.
Use expertise and considerable autonomy. Constantly manage progress, addressing the risks and issues as they arise.
Conduct procurement / evaluation of 3rd party test services and manage the test elements of ICT project budgets
Your responsibilities include:
- Lead and develop a team of permanent Test Analysts plus leading a flexible extended contractor team, typically 20 in size to develop and support the organisation and its partners in corporate compliance, planning, performance, policy and strategy.
- Responsible and accountable for leading, mentoring and motivating the staff that fall within your span of control to ensure they achieve departmental and NRW strategic objectives and will be accountable for the turnover and replacement of contractors.
- Decide whether new products should be implemented by NRW. Halting ICT implementations when necessary to protect NRW security, reputation, equipment, legal compliance, etc
- Determine the test strategy for 100s of ICT products. Based on the NRW test strategy that this post will have designed and implemented.
- Be the expert definitive source of technical advice, guidance, and assurance on ICT testing across NRW and external providers. Advise Heads of Business, Service, and ICT accordingly. Instruct contractors and other suppliers on how to perform tests for NRW and decline products if testing is insufficient.
- Plan an annual programme of Test analysis work based on NRW priorities. Manage the test analysis capacity in ICT, bringing in contractors and conducting permanent recruitment when appropriate.
- Manage the budget for test infrastructure, including licences and external testing requirements such as penetration, performance, compatibility, and accessibility testing.
- Analyse and interpret a range of complex information to ensure business acceptance of appropriate ICT products and changes thorough testing, signoff, and delivery to service introduction.
- Ensure the Test Analysts focus on NRW priorities, comply with Welsh Government and NRW strategy, offer best value and minimise operational, financial and litigation risks.
- Influence change to process and policy for data and applications via their leading role in ICT governance.
- Contribute to an improved data and evidence base for NRW and its partners by ensuring that new systems enforce data quality, store data once then share that definitive data with all who need it.
- Required to take part in incident response activities.
Qualifications, experience and knowledge
Knowledge and experience of the following:
- Degree level qualification in ICT related subject or Industry Standard qualification
- Management of testing processes and frameworks
- Azure Dev Ops or relevant Testing Analysis ICT experience
- Experience of providing advice and guidance on the levels and types of test resource required for individual products or projects
- Experience of conducting a Test Manager role
- ISTQB Advanced Test Manager Qualification (or equivalent)
- Azure Dev Ops or relevant Testing Analysis ICT certifications
- Experience of implementing strategic vision for testing
- Experience of supporting, mentoring, and coaching testing team growth & development
- Experience of the creation and implementation of testing frameworks
- Experience of championing of testing methodologies
- Experience of researching, procuring, deployment and implementation of testing toolsets
- Experience of managing different test resource models, e.g. in-house, outsourced testing as a service etc.
Welsh language requirements
Essential: Level 1 – able to pronounce Welsh and use basic phrases
Please note if you do not meet the level 1 requirement i.e., ability to understand basic phrases and ability to pronounce Welsh names correctly, then NRW offers a variety of learning options and staff support to help you meet these minimal requirements during the course of your employment with us.
Please note - Applications to this role will be assessed based on the following competencies, both at shortlisting and interview. Please give examples of how you demonstrate these competencies when completing your application form.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
Evaluation of Information
Decision Making and Autonomy Requirements
Communication and Relationships with Others
Responsibility for People
Responsibility for Resources
Benefits of working for us
This role will offer a range of benefits, including:
- Agile and flexible working
- Civil Service Pension Scheme offering employer contributions of 26.6% to 30.3%
- 28 days annual leave, rising to 33 days
- Generous leave entitlements for all your life needs
- Health and wellbeing benefits and support
- Weekly well-being hour to use at your choice
See full details for all the employee benefits you will receive.
How to apply
Please send a completed Application form to Applications@naturalresourceswales.gov.uk using the post number as the email reference
Before completing your application, please read our Guidance on completing a job application form
Application closing date 2 April 2023
Interviews will take place week beginning 10 April 2023 through Microsoft Teams.
If you have any queries about the role, please contact Helen Hamer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Natural Resources Wales embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunity. We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We welcome and encourage applications from groups currently underrepresented, including women, black and ethnic minority groups and people with a disability. We have a guaranteed interview scheme for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
We put the principles of human rights, equality, fairness, dignity and respect at the heart of our values.