Senior Finance Analyst – Staff Trajectory
Contract type: Fixed term appointment for 12 months with the possibility of becoming permanent
Work pattern: Full time, 37 hours
Post number: 202568
As an organisation we support flexible working. This role allows hybrid working (a mix of home and office working) and a working pattern suitable for you can be discussed on appointment if you are successful.
You will be contracted to the nearest NRW office to your home, of which you will be required to attend for regular meetings, training and for one-to-one meetings with your manager. These will be planned in advance.
This role will form a key part of a very close knit and motivated Business Finance Team (as part of the wider Finance team), in the provision and control of financial and budgetary information across NRW Activities, Funding streams and Corporate Objectives. This role will have specific focus on Staff Trajectory Budget Management and is pivotal in supporting the Business Finance Accountants with the NRW financial planning process for both current and future financial years. The role will also be key in satisfying our reporting commitments to Budget Managers and Heads of Business/Heads of Service. You will also provide advice and support to those managing the budgets ensuring that the forecasts are up to date and accurate and MyNRW properly reflects that position.
Your responsibilities include:
- Support Budget Control Accountant in the provision of NRW level reporting on medium term and short term financial position and in year financial performance, aligning it to operational performance to the Board, Executive Team and WG.
- Support the Budget Control Accountant in the accurate reporting, control and co-ordination of 5-year financial position, budget setting, performance monitoring and in year resource allocation.
- Assisting all Accountants in delivering effective and efficient Finance advice and guidance to Heads of Business/Service and Directorates.
- Support Accountants on their role in advising Heads of Business and Service on 5-year financial position, budget setting, performance monitoring and in year resource allocation.
- Ensure the control and accuracy of financial information held on MyNRW and Reports, including the development, maintenance and reporting of activity and funding stream information; liaising directly with all managers across NRW.
- Advocate compliance with our Financial Scheme of Delegation, identifying and then either resolving or referring issues to the specialists for resolution.
Qualifications, experience and knowledge
Knowledge and experience of the following:
- Accounting Technician qualification or qualified by experience.
- Considerable Experience working within Finance environment at a technical level.
- Knowledge of 'Managing Welsh Public Money' Principles & HMT's 'Classification of Receipts'.
- Understand a wide range of our business and environmental activities.
- Knowledge and understanding of our Finance Scheme of Delegation with an ability to advise others.
Welsh language requirements:
Essential Level 1 – Able to pronounce Welsh and use basic phrases
Please note if you do not meet the level 1 requirement i.e., ability to understand basic phrases and ability to pronounce Welsh names correctly, then NRW offers a variety of learning options and staff support to help you meet these minimal requirements during the course of your employment with us.
Please note - Applications to this role will be assessed based on the following competencies, both at shortlisting and interview. Please give examples of how you demonstrate these competencies when completing your application form.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
Evaluation of Information
Decision Making and Autonomy Requirements
Communication and Relationships with Others
Benefits of working for us
This role will offer a range of benefits, including:
- agile and flexible working (role dependent)
- Civil Service Pension Scheme offering employer contributions of 26.6% to 30.3%
- 28 days annual leave, rising to 33 days
- generous leave entitlements for all your life needs
- health and wellbeing benefits and support
- weekly well-being hour to use at your choice
See full details for all the employee benefits you will receive.
How to apply
Send completed applications forms to Applications@naturalresourceswales.gov.uk
Application closing date: 3 July 2022
Interviews will take place through Microsoft Teams.
If you have any queries about the role, please contact Andrea Morgan at Andrea.Morgan@cyfoethnaturiolcymru.gov.uk or 03000 654212
Natural Resources Wales embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunity. We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We welcome and encourage applications from groups currently underrepresented, including women, black and ethnic minority groups and people with a disability. We have a guaranteed interview scheme for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
We put the principles of human rights, equality, fairness, dignity and respect at the heart of our values.