Senior Industry & Waste Regulatory Approaches Advisor
Contract type: Fixed Term appointment until 31 March 2023
Work pattern: 37 hours a week, Monday to Friday
Post number: 201550
As an organisation we support flexible working. This role allows hybrid working (a mix of home and office working) and a working pattern suitable for you can be discussed on appointment if you are successful.
You will be contracted to the nearest NRW office to your home, of which you will be required to attend for regular meetings, training and for one-to-one meetings with your manager. These will be planned in advance.
We are really pleased to announce we have an opportunity for someone to join our Industry and Waste Regulatory Approaches Team. The team have been working hard to update guidance across the Industry and Waste regimes. The additional post will focus on supporting us in that challenge within the Regulated Industry sector.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about getting our Regulated Industry guidance right so that our Operational / Permitting colleagues and our external customers have access to up to date guidance that is easy to use and easily accessible. We are looking for candidates that would be able to drive (and co-ordinate wider expert input) into guidance reviews using OGN001; are comfortable holding workshops and leading expert groups when developing guidance; and have the skills to deliver or co-ordinate expert training (both virtually and in physical spaces, when allowing) when we reach the publication stage of guidance review. The candidate should be familiar with the Regulated Industry Governance procedures and capable of working to tight deadlines.
The primary focus of the role is to enable our wider NRW colleagues and our external stakeholders to find the answer to their waste problems and queries as quickly as possible through comprehensive and concise guidance. The post holder would also find themselves working with our Digital Comms team to ensure we can direct our internal and external customers to our guidance via our intranet / website in a logical and efficient way.
We are looking for a real team player to join our friendly and supportive team.
Your responsibilities include:
- Analyse, design and implement approaches that turn Government Policy and corporate strategies and plans into cost effective and sustainable activity in Wales.
- Maintain a detailed working knowledge of the assigned sector(s) identifying the implications of legislative, technology and market changes for Natural Resources Wales and the sector(s).
- Support the development of staff across NRW by applying technical, legislative and regulatory knowledge and experience.
- Contribute to the delivery of the team’s business plan, the directorate delivery plan and NRWs corporate plan.
- Lead on or support national projects to achieve well planned and managed integrated solutions that progress effective change and improvement in NRW and for business across Wales.
- Apply continuous improvement methods to the work areas you undertake.
- Develop, review and improve technical documentation, to enable consistent and appropriate understanding and application by staff in the business that enables effective service provision.
- Required to take part in incident response activities
Qualifications, experience and knowledge
Knowledge and experience of the following:
- Knowledge of Welsh, UK and EU legislation related to your specific sector(s); Welsh, UK government Policy drivers in the Industry and Waste sector.
- Experience in informing and influencing other regulators and stakeholders to enable effective resolution of environmental issues following the SMNR principles.
- Experience in forming and maintaining close links with internal and external partners/stakeholders to deliver the outcomes of both a specific function/project/team and the wider organisation.
- Experience of understanding and applying regulatory activities.
- Be able to work at pace and have a track record of delivery.
- Being innovative and demonstrating drive to achieve targets.
- You will be expected to keep up to date with changing regulatory policy and proposed changes to legislation via membership of a relevant professional body or other equivalent means.
Welsh language requirements:
Essential Level 1 – able to pronounce Welsh and use basic phrases
Please note if you do not meet the level 1 requirement i.e., ability to understand basic phrases and ability to pronounce Welsh names correctly, then NRW offers a variety of learning options and staff support to help you meet these minimal requirements during the course of your employment with us.
Please note - Applications to this role will be assessed based on the following competencies, both at shortlisting and interview. Please give examples of how you demonstrate these competencies when completing your application form.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
Evaluation of Information
Decision Making and Autonomy Requirements
Communication and Relationships with Others
Benefits of working for us
This role will offer a range of benefits, including:
- agile and flexible working (role dependent)
- Civil Service Pension Scheme offering employer contributions of 26.6% to 30.3%
- 28 days annual leave, rising to 33 days
- generous leave entitlements for all your life needs
- health and wellbeing benefits and support
- weekly well-being hour to use at your choice
See full details for all the employee benefits you will receive.
How to apply
Before completing your application, please read our Guidance on completing a job application form
Application closing date: 9 October 2022
Interviews will take place through Microsoft Teams.
If you have any queries about the role, please contact Emily Roe at Emily.Roe@cyfoethnaturiolcymru.gov.uk
Natural Resources Wales embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunity. We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We welcome and encourage applications from groups currently underrepresented, including women, black and ethnic minority groups and people with a disability. We have a guaranteed interview scheme for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
We put the principles of human rights, equality, fairness, dignity and respect at the heart of our values.