Lead Specialist – Industry and Waste Regulation
Contract type: Permanent
Work pattern: Full time, 37 hours per week.
Post number: 201129
As an organisation we support flexible working. This role allows hybrid working (a mix of home and office working) and a working pattern suitable for you can be discussed on appointment if you are successful.
You will be contracted to the nearest NRW office to your home, of which you will be required to attend for regular meetings, training and for one-to-one meetings with your manager. These will be planned in advance.
The regulation of industry in South-East Wales covers a diverse range of sectors and a multitude of complex and interesting sites.
In addition to regulating under the Environmental Permitting Regulations (EPR) the team is also responsible for delivery under the Radioactive Substances Regulations (RSR).
An exciting opportunity presents itself in the form of a permanent Lead Specialist within the South-East Industry Regulation team. The post holder will have experience of regulating complex sites, utilising the full range of regulatory tools (including enforcement responses) while applying our Regulatory Principles. Problem solving and dealing with contentious issues/sites, advising on options and collaborative working will be important aspects of the role.
Mentoring and coaching skills are essential to support colleagues and the successful candidate will work with other specialists to answer technical queries, develop training and development resources and improve consistency across Wales.
Your responsibilities include:
- Act as the NRW expert national technical lead for specific sectors or technical issues.
- Act as technical mentor and advisor to team members.
- Participate in the development of team work plans and deliver any agreed actions to contribute to business planning and delivery.
- Work with Operators to develop medium-term regulatory strategies for the installations, including engagement with senior managers and executives within companies, to deliver multiple benefits.
- Routinely lead our response to large or contentious cases/issues and act as an account manager for key stakeholders.
- Contribute to sector working and cross-agency sector groups as required to aid adoption of consistent regulatory approaches and the dissemination of good practices to the benefit of the environment. Where appropriate act as NRW lead for specific technical sectors.
- Be required to participate in technical/ strategic groups or represent NRW on external forums e.g. UK regulators’ sector groups. These types of groups will agree sector specific regulatory strategy at a Wales, UK or European level.
- Develop cross-directorate working relationships thereby contributing towards development of any relevant WG industry related policies.
- Work with the Permitting Team to assist the ongoing permit review process in response to BREF updates and publication of BAT Conclusions.
- Interact with other regulatory specialists in NRW to promote consistent regulatory practices.
- Support EPP advisors at operational level.
- Assess compliance at installations, COMAH sites, waste sites and sites handling radioactive substances.
- Respond to incidents and complaints.
- Contribute to a positive health, safety and well-being culture.
- Required to take part in incident response activities
Qualifications, experience and knowledge
Knowledge and experience of the following:
- Professional membership.
- Experience of working across a wide range of relevant industrial sectors.
- Coaching and mentoring skills.
- Experience of managing contentious issues and community liaison and public engagement activities.
- Good understanding of commercial business processes and pressures.
- Ability to communicate effectively with regulated business and the public, explaining complex issues and gaining support by influencing.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of regulatory and enforcement processes and incident management.
Welsh language requirements:
Essential Level 1 – able to pronounce Welsh and use basic phrases
Desirable Level 3 – able to pronounce Welsh in some work situations
Please note if you do not meet the level 1 requirement i.e., ability to understand basic phrases and ability to pronounce Welsh names correctly, then NRW offers a variety of learning options and staff support to help you meet these minimal requirements during the course of your employment with us.
Please note - Applications to this role will be assessed based on the following competencies, both at shortlisting and interview. Please give examples of how you demonstrate these competencies when completing your application form.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
Evaluation of Information
Decision Making and Autonomy Requirements
Communication and Relationships with Others
Benefits of working for us
This role will offer a range of benefits, including:
- agile and flexible working (role dependent)
- Civil Service Pension Scheme offering employer contributions of 26.6% to 30.3%
- 28 days annual leave, rising to 33 days
- generous leave entitlements for all your life needs
- health and wellbeing benefits and support
- weekly well-being hour to use at your choice
- competitive financial rewards to enhance your monthly pay
See full details for all the employee benefits you will receive.
How to apply
Before completing your application, please read our Guidance on completing a job application form
Application closing date 29 January 2023
Interviews will take place through Microsoft Teams
If you have any queries about the role, please contact Wayne Grimstead at firstname.lastname@example.org
Natural Resources Wales embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunity. We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We welcome and encourage applications from groups currently underrepresented, including women, black and ethnic minority groups and people with a disability. We have a guaranteed interview scheme for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
We put the principles of human rights, equality, fairness, dignity and respect at the heart of our values.