Hazardous Waste Regulation Officer
Contract type: Fixed Term appointment until 31 August 2023
Work pattern: 37 hours a week, Monday to Friday
Post number: 200210
As an organisation we support flexible working. This role allows hybrid working (a mix of home and office working) and a working pattern suitable for you can be discussed on appointment if you are successful.
You will be contracted to a NRW office within the place base, of which you will be required to attend for regular meetings, training and for one-to-one meetings with your manager. These will be planned in advance.
The post holder will be based in the North-West Wales Industry & Waste Regulation Team and will lead on hazardous waste regulation across Anglesey, Conwy and Gwynedd. Primarily the role will be assessing compliance of waste producers with the Hazardous Waste Regulations including the correct classification of waste, record keeping, and consignment note completion. Additionally, the post holder will be expected to assist other officers with assessment of compliance at permitted waste sites. The post holder will be working as part of an all-Wales virtual hazardous waste team including data officers and will help design and carry out compliance campaigns and other projects.
For many of Wales’s hazardous waste producers this will be their only contact with NRW and it will provide an opportunity to advise and influence them on issues such as waste prevention and pollution prevention to help deliver SMNR principles.
As part of NRW’s role as a Category 1 responder under the Civil Contingencies Act the post holder will play an active role in incident response and participate in rotas and cascade arrangements.
Your responsibilities include:
- Assess compliance for non-site based hazardous waste regulation.
- Strategically use waste data to inform interventions/campaigns.
- Deliver and record hazardous waste compliance work.
- Take appropriate actions to collect evidence for enforcement purposes, in accordance with defined procedures.
- Participate in the development of team work plans.
- Produce required documentation to support legal action.
- Seek to influence customers and establish local partnerships and collaborations as opportunities arise to deliver SMNR.
- Respond to incidents and complaints.
- Required to take part in incident response activities
Qualifications, experience and knowledge
Knowledge and experience of the following:
- Knowledge and experience of working as a regulator.
- Understanding of commercial business processes and pressures.
- Ability to communicate effectively with regulated business and the public, explaining issues and gaining support by influencing.
Welsh language requirements:
Essential Level 1 – able to pronounce Welsh and use basic phrases
Please note if you do not meet the level 1 requirement i.e., ability to understand basic phrases and ability to pronounce Welsh names correctly, then NRW offers a variety of learning options and staff support to help you meet these minimal requirements during the course of your employment with us.
Please note - Applications to this role will be assessed based on the following competencies, both at shortlisting and interview. Please give examples of how you demonstrate these competencies when completing your application form.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
Evaluation of Information
Decision Making and Autonomy Requirements
Communication and Relationships with Others
Responsibility for Resources
Benefits of working for us
This role will offer a range of benefits, including:
- agile and flexible working (role dependent)
- Civil Service Pension Scheme offering employer contributions of 26.6% to 30.3%
- 28 days annual leave, rising to 33 days
- generous leave entitlements for all your life needs
- health and wellbeing benefits and support
- weekly well-being hour to use at your choice
See full details for all the employee benefits you will receive.
How to apply
Before completing your application, please read our Guidance on completing a job application form
Application closing date: 4 October 2022
Interviews will take place through Microsoft Teams.
If you have any queries about the role, please contact Berwyn Williams at email@example.com
Natural Resources Wales embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunity. We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition.
We welcome and encourage applications from groups currently underrepresented, including women, black and ethnic minority groups and people with a disability. We have a guaranteed interview scheme for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
We put the principles of human rights, equality, fairness, dignity and respect at the heart of our values.